Monday, November 21, 2011

the allergist

November 14

Ever since Makenzie was exposed to ranch dressing she would get a rash on her face and her lips would get red and swell. So we would usually just avoid it. Occasionally we would let her have some (she loves it) to see what would happen. It always causes the reaction.



Well, the last several weeks she was having reactions to other things and we couldn't figure out what it was to or how things could be related. After one week with multiple reactions we decided to take her to the pediatrician. After the visit with the pediatrician it was decided that Makenzie would see an allergist. She didn't have any reactions that would become life-threatening, just eczema and the reaction around her mouth. It is something that is uncomfortable for her and if we knew what caused it could avoid it.

Makenzie at the Pediatrician's office - October 28



I was a little nervous about taking her to the allergist. I wasn't really sure what to expect. The doctor and nurses were really nice and made Makenzie really comfortable. They ended up testing her for any allergies to the major food groups, cats, dogs, rats, guinea pigs, dust mites and a couple of other things.

Playing while waiting to see the allergist - November 14



It turns out that she doesn't have any food allergies. Yay! It could be a spice in the ranch dressing that causes the reaction, but they don't have a way of testing for it. So, we'll still avoid it. However, she does have an allergy to dust mites and cats. They are just minor allergies and she could either grow out of them or they could develop into something worse.



As of now we don't need to get rid or Rascal, which is good considering Makenzie and him love each other. We do need to keep him out of her room. Basically, what I need to do right now is vacuum all the time, wash her bedding frequently, dust and keep our home from getting too humid. We already do this, but I've been trying to deep clean everything this past week. I do need to put away her stuffed animals and only let her play with one or two that I can wash frequently. It's mostly small changes for now, but I do hope that it helps with her eczema and that the allergies don't get worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment