Since Makenzie is a sunbeam this year, that means that it was her first primary program. She was SO excited! We practiced the songs together and Makenzie worked hard at memorizing her part. The day of the program my mom and Mitch's parents came up to see it. We were all pretty excited!
Once it was time for the kids to go up to the stand, Makenzie jumped out of her seat and headed straight up there. The first song they sang was 'I am a Child of God' and she sang so great. She was so happy to be up on the stand! Next up were the sunbeams lines. Makenzie said hers so well! I was so proud of her. Unfortunately, that's where it ended for the sunbeams. After their parts their teacher brought them back off the stand to their families. We were all so bummed. Makenzie asked my why she wasn't allowed to sing the songs anymore. It was heartbreaking. I had never seen the sunbeams not do the entire program. They started singing the next song and Makenzie was so sad she wasn't up there. So I went and asked her teacher if the sunbeams were done. She said that they were because the sunbeams were too little to do the whole thing. I went back to my seat and tried to get Makenzie to go back up on her own. She said they didn't want her up there anymore. At that point I had to go to the foyer. Makenzie and I went out and both shed a few tears. We ended up sitting in the foyer the remainder of the meeting. After Sacrament meeting we headed home to have lunch with the grandparents before they headed home. It was so great they came up!
I wish someone had mentioned to me that Makenzie was only doing the first part of the program. They sent home a paper asking us to practice the songs for the program. So we did. I also took Makenzie to the practice the day before and nothing was mentioned to me. I felt so bad for Makenzie and I felt bad that grandparents came up to see the program and she wasn't even in the whole thing. I don't believe the sunbeams are too young to participate in it. They are usually my favorite ones! I understand some of the kiddos have a hard time, but it should be handled individually and not dismiss the entire class. I know the primary leaders didn't intentionally try to hurt anyone's feelings, but it was still disappointing.
Makenzie loves primary and I love how excited she gets about it. We'll look forward to the program next year!

No comments:
Post a Comment