Sunday, July 27, 2014

the first broken body part

April 15

I always knew that Alex would be my child to break a bone or something. I just didn't think it would be her tooth. She was repetitively climbing onto the bathroom counter. Over and over I was going in there and pulling her off the counter. After several times, I put Alex in time out. I sat her in the corner and then walked to the other room to throw something away. As I was walking back I heard her screaming. My initial reaction was to be angry because I had told her so many times to not climb the counter. I went into the bathroom and picked her up. I was planning on putting her in her room for a time out, but she was crying really hard, so I was comforting her. After several minutes of holding her, she sits up and says, "owie" and pointed to her mouth. I looked closely and I noticed the broken tooth. I would say chipped tooth, but it was bigger than a chip.

 
I kind of freaked out. I immediately tried to look for the piece of the tooth, but couldn't find it. I called Mitch 3 or 4 times in a row without him answering, so I texted him "911." He called me and I tried to tell him what happened through my crying. He wasn't as worried or upset as I was. He said that it was a baby tooth so it'll fall out. I was thinking that it wouldn't fall out for at least 4 more years! All of the pictures during that time would have a broken tooth!
 
I tried calling the girls' dentist's office. It kept sending me to a message telling me the business hours, which I was calling during. After several attempts I called the emergency line. The dentist immediately called me back and talked to me about what happened. He determined I didn't need to take her in right then, but would fit me in the next day. The following morning I received a call from his office fitting Alex in that afternoon. I was so grateful to have the dentist look at it.


They were able to get x-rays and determined that there was still a very thin layer of dentin, but it was so thin he said fixing it was a good option. He left that decision up to me. I really wanted it fixed, but I knew that Mitch wouldn't want to pay a lot to fix it. They were kind enough to give me a quote (which was only $50) and let me call back with our decision. He didn't want to do any work on her that day because her gums were badly bruised. After a day or two of watching Alex eat we decided to have her tooth fixed. Even though there was still dentin left her tooth was incredibly sensitive. She took one bite of some frozen yogurt and then wouldn't touch it again and said her tooth hurt.

When I called to make the appointment for the tooth repair they had to schedule us 4 weeks out due to how busy the dentist is. Over the next several weeks Alex wouldn't bite with that tooth and didn't eat like her normal self. Finally, it was time to get that tooth fixed! The assistant took her back and 15 minutes later they were walking her back to me. She didn't have to be numbed at all and the dentist said she was a perfect patient, better than any 2 year he had ever seen. As I looked at the new tooth, it looked a little funny to me, but I figured I just needed to get use to it. Since having it fixed she can eat whatever she wants again and hasn't complained once about pain.

I'm hoping this is our first and only experience with a broken tooth. But with Alex, you never know what will happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment