A few months ago we bought tickets to the traveling Broadway production of Beauty and the Beast. Mitch and I rarely go on dates, so we thought it would be fun. We've needed to ask for help with babysitting a lot lately, so when we heard that all ages were welcome to come we thought it would be fun for Mitch to take Makenzie. He misses out on a lot due to his schedule, so it could be something for the two of them to do. Then, interview season started for Mitch and his first one was that same week. He had to travel to Phoenix and needed to leave bright and early the next day. So, it ended up being a mommy-daughter date and I loved it!
Beauty and the Beast was always my favorite growing up. I went through a bit of an obsession when I was 8 or 9 and everything I had was Beauty and the Beast. When we ask Makenzie who her favorite princess is, she responds with Belle. When we were getting ready to go, she wanted to wear her Belle dress. I explained that we were going to a theater so we needed to dress nicely.
All ready to go!
Outside the theater.
We had to pick up our tickets at will call and as we were waiting for them to find ours a couple of little girls came in wearing Belle dresses. Makenzie turned to me and said, "see Mom, they are wearing Belle dresses!" I felt so bad. I really didn't know that she could have worn hers.
Before the play started, I made sure that Makenzie had gotten a drink and used the bathroom. As we made our way to our seats and older gentleman saw Makenzie and said, "Look it's a little princess!" Makenzie turned to him and said, "I'm not a princess! My mom wouldn't let me wear my Belle dress." Now I felt really bad!
We had really great seats, first row of the second balcony. We were a little high, but there weren't heads in Makenzie's way. The ladies that sat by us LOVED Makenzie. I was a little nervous people wouldn't like sitting next to a 3 year old.
When it started Makenzie was instantly mesmerized. After the opening scene the theater goes dark while they change the set. Makenzie turned to me and said to me all disappointed, "It's not over?" Then the stage lit up, the music started and Belle came on the stage. Makenzie turned back to me with the biggest smile, so excited and said, "It's Belle!"
Makenzie was into it the entire time. At first, she really didn't like the beast, he was really mean. She kept saying he wasn't being nice. But, she loved it when he would act silly! And when he chose to let Belle go, Makenzie turned and said, "he's so sad!" I thought she was going to cry. At the end, the lady next to us turned to Makenzie and talked to her about how the beast turned into a prince and was so happy now. I loved how much Makenzie loved it! I think her favorite part was when Belle wore her yellow dress. She kept asking me when she was going to. It was such a fun night for both of us!
It was a little later than Makenzie's bedtime when it was over.
She was so tired!
Luckily I parked in a garage close by.
I had to carry her to the car.
Since the play, Makenzie has worn her Belle dress about every day! And she tells everyone about going to the theater to see Belle!

That sounds like a great mommy daughter night! Even though she didn't get to wear her Belle dress, she looked adorable :)
ReplyDelete