Friday, October 2, 2015

felicity jo...part three

September 16

It was time to start pushing. As I got into position and put my legs in the stirrups I could tell that my epidural wasn't very strong. I looked at Mitch and said that I could feel my feet. He told me to push my epidural button so I would get a dose of it, so I did. They had me do a couple of practice pushes and then it was time to "really" push.

With each contraction I would push through two counts of 10. I was trying as hard as I could to make each push count. With each contraction I would feel more and more. Each one got a little more painful. I kept telling Mitch that it hurt. When I would tell Mitch something I was talking so loud (not quite yelling), but I couldn't control how loud I was talking. At one point I practically yelled to Mitch, "It hurts so bad!" Ronda, one of my nurses, then realized that she had turned off my epidural. What!? She turned it back on, but at that point not much was going to kick in. I was going to have to do it without...

I continued pushing, but was completely thrown off by the fact that I was feeling so much. I told/yelled to Mitch that if I was prepared for this it would be different. He offered to move up by my side a couple of times, but I kept telling him he didn't need to. I said/yelled to him, "What would you do up here?" Near the end I did freak out a little (I was super embarrassed after). During a push I completely stopped and just said that I couldn't do it anymore. Mitch and Amie both responded with saying that I had to do it. Right before the last two contractions I got really nauseous and was going to throw up. I was already shaking pretty badly and then the nausea hit. I fortunately did not throw up, but that was because I had to push again. I pushed through 4 more counts of 10 and at 9:47 am baby was here!

They put baby on my tummy, Mitch cut the cord and then moved from down below to my side. Amie moved over and finished everything that had to be done for me. As soon as baby girl was on my tummy I told Mitch that she looked like Makenzie. That was the first thing I noticed. Unfortunately, I continued to shake really bad (I did that with my other deliveries), but I also couldn't breath. My nurses had to get me some oxygen and I still needed to deliver the placenta. After a couple of minutes I had to ask them to move the baby because I just couldn't have her on me anymore. The neonatal nurses took her to check her out and Mitch went along.

Once baby was all checked out and bundled up Mitch brought her back so I could see her. I had him hold her until I was completely done being stitched up. It took me a little bit to feel okay. Once I felt like I was doing better I was able to do some skin to skin time with baby (as per my request). It was a crazy half an hour, but it ended with our sweet baby girl arriving!

Felicity Jo Mendenhall
September 16 at 9:47 am
7 lbs 8 oz & 19.5 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment