Wednesday, September 30, 2015

felicity jo...part two

September 16

At 2:30 am our alarm went off and it was time to get ready to head to the hospital. Before heading in, Mitch called the OB floor to make sure that they had a spot for me. They did, so we headed on over! We did forget my induction papers, but luckily they didn't need them.

They got us set up in a room right away and started the induction process.

By 4:00 am I was hooked up to the pitocin.

At 5:00 am they broke my water.

Kristina Meissner, a second year resident, was the doctor on and the one to break my water. I also had two nurses, Ronda and another that was training (I feel bad, I can't remember her name. She was pretty good though). It was a different experience with Mitch knowing everyone, but it made it fun! Dr. Dyer came in to check on us before heading into a surgery. And a couple other residents stopped in to say hi as well. Amie, another 3rd year who was going to be at the delivery, and Luke, he was working in the NICU.

The contractions started coming closer together and were getting painful.

At 6:15 I asked for my epidural.

I knew that if the anesthesiologist was busy it might take a while for him to be able to get to me. He ended up being able to come in about 20 minutes later. The process of getting my epidural took about 30-40 minutes. After the epidural was good to go I was still feeling pain with some of the contractions. About 20 minutes after the anesthesiologist left he came back to let me know that he had forgotten to hook the drip to me. He had set up the pump, but it didn't work, so he replaced it with a new one and failed to connect it to me. He remedied that and I was feeling much better. Unfortunately, I did end up with one of the possible side effects from the epidural, itching. It wasn't terribly bad, but every once in a while I would just need to scratch.

At 8:00 we text our family to let them know we were at the hospital having the baby.

Ronda had checked me before the epidural and I was still dilated to a 3. After the epidural she checked me again and I was now dilated to a 6. Ronda said that she thought things were going to go really quickly from there. Both Mitch and I disagreed. With both of my other labors after I got the epidural I jumped a couple of cm in dilation and then progressed slowly from there. We were pretty sure I still had a few hours until I would be ready to deliver. She checked me again about half an hour later and I was now dilated to a 7. I guess things were going to move a little bit faster than before!

At 8:45 they were setting up my room for the delivery and had called Amie and talked with Dr. Dyer.

The timing ended up working out that Dr. Dyer was in between procedures and was able to come in. Amie was able to leave the clinic and come help with the delivery. Mitch then "gowned" up and was ready to deliver the baby. My nurses had everything set up and were ready to get started. There was also a nursing student in the room so she could take some pictures with my camera. And finally two neonatal nurses were there ready for when baby made her debut. In total I had 3 doctors, 4 nurses and a nursing student in my room.


At 9:15 I was a 10, but the cervix wasn't completely gone.

At 9:20 I started pushing (first two were practice pushes)...

No comments:

Post a Comment