Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving in Charlottesville!

This year for Thanksgiving Mitch, Makenzie and I headed to Charlottesville, Virginia to spend the holiday with my brother Brian and his family (Stacey and Kai). We left Wednesday morning and had a few bumps to start with. First, as we were filling up with gas before heading out our car died. We called some friends to come give us a jump. Thanks Kris and Corissa! Then about and hour and a half into the drive we had an almost flat tire. Thankfully we were able to make it to a gas station and didn't need to change it on the side of the highway. What a way to start a day of driving! We did make it to Virginia just fine. We just made a few extra stops to make sure the tire was holding the air.

We were excited to see Brian, Stacey and Kai. My brother is attending the University of Virginia's law school, so they moved there in August. Kai was born in July and this was the first time we would see him. He is such a cute little boy! And he's our first nephew!

Adorable Baby Kai!



Kai with his Auntie Lindsey!



Uncle Mitch and Baby Kai!



Makenzie and Kai. It took her a little bit to warm up to him, but then she totally LOVED him!



Hugs!



On Wednesday night Brian showed us around the Law School and on Thursday morning we visited the main campus of University of Virginia. Thomas Jefferson founded the University so we got to see a lot of history and awesome buildings. Definitely a place I pictured Brian going to school. Edgar Allan Poe attended the University! Mitch was a little jealous of the classrooms and facilities.

Inside the law school.



Mitch, Makenzie and I on the main campus (the original portion of campus).



Thomas Jefferson statue.



Brian, Stacey & Kai. Go Virginia!



Brian was telling us about the secret societies that existed at the University several years ago (maybe they still do). They painted their symbols all over campus. One of the many markings.



As we were walking to the library we spotted this more recent marking. Can any Harry Potter fans guess what it is. Yup - the symbol of the deathly hallows! We decided that super smart people go to the school, but that doesn't mean they have common sense! I can't believe someone really vandolized a school building with a Harry Pottor symbol (I think it might be chalk, but still!).


Stacey and I cooked Thanksgiving dinner. Everything turned out really well. Our Thanksgiving feast consisted of turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, yams, rolls, salad and a gluten-free chocolate cake to finish it off. Mitch and I decided that we really enjoy gluten. Sorry Brian!

Makenzie waiting for dinner!



Makenzie didn't nap too well during our trip. Durning Thanksgiving dinner she fell asleep at the table. It was so funny! She still fell asleep with everyone laughing at her! Don't worry, she ate her roll first!



After dinner we played some cards, got on skype with my family back in Utah, and watched some football. Overall, it was a great day!

Makenzie loves talking on skype! Hi Grandma!



Makenzie needed to be the center of attention on skype. She wouldn't let little Kai have the spotlight. She kept putting her face right up into the camera and laughing. Silly girl!



The rest of the weekend was pretty low key. We hung out, played cards, visited historic downtown Charlottesville, and went out to ice cream (a couple of times). It was great to spend the holiday and weekend in Virginia. Thank you Brian and Stacey for letting us come! Enjoy even more pictures!

Helping Kai with his binky!



Makenzie with her Uncle Brian. She was being a little stinker!



Makenzie's new pose! I don't know where it came from.



Kisses for Baby Kai!



We hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! We sure did!
Welcome Christmas music and lots of holiday festivities!

2 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun, I'm jealous :) Kai and Makenzie look so different from the last time I saw them. I love the picture where she's hugging Kai. The one where she's falling asleep at dinner is way funny. Her hair is cute. I can't wait for all of them to be together on Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so glad you made it safely. looks like you guys had a good time!

    ReplyDelete