Near the end of June Makenzie started asking me to take off her diapers so that she could go potty on the toilet. After doing this for a week or so I decided that it must be time for the adventure of potty training. So near the first part of July we started. At first she did great! Then after a month or so she decided it was more fun to keep playing than having to stop and go to the potty. If we hadn't already been doing it for so long I might have just stuck her back in diapers. But, I'm glad we stuck with it. Some of the things I did was give her a treat after each time she went and sticker charts with a reward of going to ice cream once she fills it up. She definitely remembers the treat after every time she goes. We do still have her in a pull up at night. She wakes up dry about 50% of the time.
We started with the small potty. After a few weeks I felt that she could do it on the regular potty. This potty turns into an attachment for regular toilets and a step stool. She does great on a regular potty.
Isn't she cute in her panties! When we first started potty training we stayed home for three days so that she could have constant access to the potty. Well, our first outing ended up being kind of funny. Mitch was about to start his rotations, but needed a new pair of dress shoes. So we decided to head to Zappos to check out their selection. The drive is over 30 minutes so as soon as we got there I took Makenzie to the bathroom. We did have her in a pull up as a precaution, but wanted her to learn to tell us. Unfortunately, Mitch didn't find shoes so we decided to head to the mall. We made a quick stop at home so that Makenzie could try to go potty and then headed to the mall. As Mitch was looking at the shoes in JCPenny, Makenzie suddenly says, "Oh no, daddy! Poo Poo!" I just looked at Mitch and then grabbed Makenzie and headed towards the bathroom as fast as I could. We had to walk across the store, to the escalator, go up and then across again to the bathroom. We made it and she successfully went on the potty. I gave her lots of praise and told her we would go get some ice cream because she did so great. She was very excited to go tell Mitch. As we walked back to the shoe department Makenzie kept yelling, "Daddy, I went poo poo on potty!" Several people stopped and told Makenzie good job. At first I was a little embarrassed, but then I just thought it was funny. She deserved to be proud of herself. After shoe shopping we took her to get her ice cream reward!
Potty training truly has been an adventure. Definitely the hardest thing in parenting so far. But, Makenzie is doing great with it and it's nice to have the hardest part of it behind us. I still prepare for accidents, but they are becoming less and less. And it has been so nice not to have to get diapers anymore. We'll be diaper free until baby #2 arrives!

No comments:
Post a Comment