Last October I ran a 5K, which was a great way to keep me motivated to run. A few weeks after the race I realized that I needed another goal. So I decided to go big and set my goal to run the Kentucky Derby Festival's mini Marathon in the spring. So it was somewhat big, a marathon would have been REAL big. A half was going to be challenging, but hopefully doable :) I also decided that a running partner was a must, so I asked my good friend Katie if she would run it with me. And I am so glad she said yes!
Together, we kept each other on track training and were able to do some runs together. It was fun to run and talk. The week of the race the weather cooled down and race day it was in the 50's with rain in the forecast. Luckily, it worked out perfect. It was cool, but once warmed up and running it felt great. And we only experienced a few sprinkles during the last few miles.
Before the race!
(stole this pic from Katie's blog :)
I felt great for the majority of the race. Katie and I were a perfect pair running together. I kept us on pace and she kept us going to the end! Around mile 9 I started to feel some strain. My foot had been giving me a little trouble while training and it had started to bother me.
Running through downtown Louisville was really fun. I loved running pass all of the iconic buildings. And I was really excited to run through Churchill Downs, but it was really stinky. Awesome, but stinky!
The last few miles were really a challenge. My legs were tired. Before the mini, my longest run was 10 miles. So the last 3.1 miles were new territory for me. Our amazing husbands came out to cheer us on. We ran pass them at mile 12. It was fun to see them and our girls! Only 1.1 miles to go! The last stretch I kicked it in as best I could, but I honestly couldn't feel my legs, they were jello!
Funny story about when I was coming up on the finish line. I was really concentrating on getting through the finish line, breathing and making sure my legs didn't give out when I heard them announcing that the first marathoner was coming up on the finish line. Then I was thinking that a marathoner beat me when I was only running a half!
My sweet girls!
Alex just wanted to be held, but I was so tired.
I couldn't hold her for long.
Katie and I!
Thank you for running with me!
We did it!!
The medal!
My awesome race shirt!
I was really tired after the race and sore for a day or two, but it actually wasn't that bad. It was such a great experience! All of the spectators were awesome cheering everyone on. It was actually so much fun and I think I'll definitely be running another!



No comments:
Post a Comment