Felicity Jo joined our family on Wednesday, September 16 at 9:47 am. Her birth story ended up being a bit different than the other girls. In fact, each birth has been unique and a completely different experience. One thing that has been the same is that I had contractions off and on for several days leading up to active labor.
This pregnancy I had a lot more contractions early on. Nothing consistent or painful, but they were there. The week before my due date the contractions started coming more frequently and were more uncomfortable. I would have them for several hours at a time, but then they would go away. On Monday night Mitch checked me to see if the contractions had made me progress anymore. He had brought home gloves so he could. He said I was still a 3 and that my cervix was still really thick. He said that if he had checked me before he wouldn't have thought I could have gone into labor at any point that weekend. While checking me Mitch went a head and striped my membranes. That night I was woken up by contractions, but they were 20+ minutes apart. That made for a great night of sleep!
Tuesday morning I had an appointment with my doctor. So I dropped Alex off at preschool and headed to the doctor's office. When Dr. Dyer checked me I hadn't changed from the week prior. He did strip my membranes (I didn't tell him Mitch did the night before), which was extremely uncomfortable, He said, "If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't work!" At my 39 week appointment we did decide that if I didn't have the baby before my due date that on my due date, the 17th, I would go in to be induced. Mitch's perinatal rotation started that day and he was scheduled off that Thursday and Friday.
After my appointment I continued to have contractions that were getting stronger, but I continued to go about all of our scheduled activities. As Makenzie and I were driving home from piano lessons Mitch called. He had received a phone call from the OB coordinator (benefits of Mitch working at the hospital and knowing the nurses). Since my induction had been scheduled, they had 5 medical inductions scheduled for Wednesday night. I was an elective induction and they didn't think they would fit me in on Thursday morning. So she had called Dr. Dyer and got it approved to have me come in on Wednesday morning...the NEXT morning.
Having the induction moved up made me a little nervous. I lost a day to get things done! I had pretty much everything done, but there is always more to do. Earlier that day I cleaned windows and blinds. I was determined to keep busy to help get things moving more quickly. Being induced a day early also meant that I wouldn't be going in on my own. That was ok though because it was nice to be able to know we needed to drop our girls off instead of wondering if we were going to have to call someone in the middle of the night.
So, once Makenzie and I got home we packed a sleepover bag for the girls. My bag for the hospital was mostly already packed, but I pulled out the last few things I would need. We decided to go out to dinner for the last time as a family of four and of course the girls picked Pizza Pie Cafe! After dinner we headed home for baths and to get in jammies. Once ready for bed we took the girls to our friend's, the Poulter's, home to stay for the night. I am so grateful for such great friends! We had so many offers to have the girls stay with them while I was in labor. Seriously, I am so grateful for the people in our life!
Saying good bye to the bump!
They are a tad bit excited to meet their sister tomorrow!
Once the girls were dropped off, Mitch and I headed home to get some sleep before our 2:30 am wake up call...unless things picked up and I needed to go in earlier!




No comments:
Post a Comment