Sunday, February 17, 2013

my granddad

November 9

My Granddad's health had been declining for a while and, unfortunately, he had to spend some time in ICU. He was able to leave the hospital to spend some time at home and with my Grandma. But, on Friday, November 9th Granddad passed away.

The night before he passed, I had called my Grandma to talk with her and I was actually able to talk to my Granddad for a few minutes. I have always been really close to my Granddad and was grateful to be able to talk to him one more time. Sometimes it is difficult living so far from family, and this was definitely one of those times. The last time I saw him was the last time I had visited Utah, which was in May 2011.


 
 
A graveside service for family was held on Monday, November 12 and a memorial service on Wednesday, November 14. Due to leaving on our trip on Tuesday, there wasn't anyway that I could get to Utah for the services. That was really difficult for me, but I couldn't see how to make it work. And I understood why they needed to be held when they were.
 
We arrived in Utah on Friday night and Saturday morning we headed to see my Grandma and to visit Granddad's grave. It was good to see and hug Grandma. The last several weeks (and months) were very difficult for her. It was also good for her to meet little Alex. After visiting for a while, we headed to Granddad's grave with Grandma. This was my first time visiting a grave and I was actually a little nervous, but I am grateful that I was able to visit it.
 
 
Grandma meeting my sweet Alex.
 
 
 
The four of us at Granddad's grave.
We brought some flowers to put by his grave.

 
 
Grandma and I.

 
 
Death is never an easy thing to deal with and I have actually not had too many experiences with it prior. But one thing that does help in these difficult times is the knowledge that I have that death is not the end. Death is only one part of a bigger plan and I know that I will see my loved ones again. I am truly grateful for this knowledge. Until then, I will remember the great memories I have of my Granddad!


No comments:

Post a Comment