After Makenzie's ultrasound and the discovery of the duplicate kidney we just needed to find out what our pediatrician wanted to do next. Within the next week, Makenzie developed another UTI. I immediately called our pediatrician and got her in that day. When Dr. Lewis came in she told me that we were on her 'to-do' list that day, but when she pulled up Makenzie's file she saw that we were coming in later that day. Unfortunately, all the tests showed Makenzie did have another UTI. Poor girl!
Talking with Dr. Lewis, we decided that we would take Makenzie in for a VCU scan. This was more invasive than the ultrasound, but necessary to find out what was going on. This time, Mitch was unable to come. A friend watched Alex and I took Makenzie in.
We arrived at Kosair's and they got us checked in and back for the procedure really fast. It really is a great hospital. During our few minutes of waiting they talked to me about have a child life nurse in with us. Basically a child life nurse is there to explain what is going to happen in terms the child can understand and to entertain them. I had never heard of this before, but she was really great with Makenzie.
Once back in the room for the procedure, I had to change Makenzie into a hospital gown. She HATED it! I was surprised. I thought she would have thought it would be fun.
Not so happy about what was going on.
So here's what the VCU scan entailed: Makenzie had to lay on a table (the child life nurse had an iPad with games and disney shows for Makenzie to do during everything). They inserted a catheter and drained her bladder. They then filled her bladder back up with a dyed fluid and then took the scans. They then removed the catheter and needed her to pee into a bedpan. They needed scans while she was urinating. Poor Makenzie did not like that part. She really did not want to pee. The doctor and technicians were all great, but there were like 4 or 5 of them in the room. That's a lot of people to pee in front of! They finally poured some warm water over her pee pee area to help her go. The doctor distracted her by dancing and singing. These doctors that work in pediatrics are really great with kids!
Once done, Makenzie still was not a happy girl. I wouldn't be either! Not a fun experience for her. But the radiologist did tell me that she could see that Makenzie had reflux on both sides, a little more severe on the right side. I wouldn't say this is good news, but it is nice to know there is a reason for her UTI's. Our next step would be to consult with our pediatrician again. I was feeling so bad for Makenzie, but hopeful that we'll be able to fix her urinary problems.
As mentioned before, Kosair's is an awesome hospital. Once we were ready to go, the nurse brought Makenzie a balloon with a certificate for some frozen yogurt at Menchies. So, we left he hospital and headed to get her a sweet treat.
Frozen yogurt can make anyone happy! Makenzie quickly forgot what just happened and enjoyed her yummy frozen yogurt. Hopefully we can keep this girl UTI free!
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment