Wednesday, October 24, 2012

imagination: captain hook

September 26

One of the things I love most about Makenzie at this age is her imagination. She loves to pretend to be one of the princesses. If she's wearing one of her princess dresses she likes me to refer to her as that princess. She has also started calling me 'mother' (since Rapunzel calls Mother Gothel 'mother').

I think my favorite experience is when we were at Jo-Ann's. As we were picking up the last few things for her Halloween costume we found a pirate hook. Right before leaving the house she had told Mitch that he needed to be Captain Hook for Halloween. Mitch asked why he couldn't be Jake (from Jake and the Neverland Pirates - Makenzie is being Izzy). Makenzie's response was because Jake is little and daddy is big, so he needs to be Captain Hook. I can see her logic.

Anyway, Makenzie said we needed to buy the pirate hook for dad so he could be Captain Hook. I agreed and we continued to walk around the store. As we were walking around Makenzie would shake the hook at something and then yell out, "Captain Hook wants to look at that!" When I referred to her as Makenzie she replied, "I'm not Makenzie, I am Captain Hook!" She then started calling me Mr. Smee and tried to tell me what to do. When I didn't head the direction she wanted me to, she said, "Mr. Smee you are going the wrong way!" I told her we were going where I needed to go. She then stated that Mr. Smee does whatever Captain Hook wants and that I was Mr. Smee and she was Captain Hook. I guess that is how it works in the cartoon, but I wasn't going to fall for that! And as a side note: I think I need to evaluate what she is learning from cartoons!

It was quite fun walking around the craft store with Makenzie yelling out Mr. Smee do this and Mr. Smee do that! I love the 3 year old imagination!

Pretending to be Jessie!


2 comments:

  1. For some reason Owen likes Captin Hook the best from Jake and the Never Land Pirates. It is wierd to me he picked him. His imagination is going crazy also. It is so much fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the imagination stage too! Brooklyn is just like Makenzie. We have to call her by whoever she says she is and wont respond, or gets sad and says "Why did you call me Brooklyn, and not .....?" For the most part it is super fun, but there are times where I just need her to be
    Brooklyn and listen to me cause we're in a hurry :)
    Brooklyn says she is Izzy and daddy is Jake and Avery is Cubby (we think cause Avery is chubby, hahaha) But she didn't give me a part :(

    ReplyDelete