Wednesday, February 8, 2012

the birth story

January 29

*Warning - long and detailed*

The day started out pretty early for me. I had been waking up to contractions most of the night. After a week of contractions I was tired of timing them and determining if they were strong enough (I didn't know since Makenzie was basically induced). I had decided that once I was in a ton of pain, then we would go to the hospital. The contractions I was waking up with had started to hurt. I knew that we would need to go in at some point soon.

I called my friend Corissa and they agreed to pick up Makenzie and take her to church with them. They were total lifesavers. I probably stressed the most about where Makenzie would be while we were at the hospital. I really didn't need to because I have great friends that all offered to take her.

After Makenzie was picked up I finished getting all of our things together and then Mitch and I headed to the hospital. As we were walking to the registration area Mitch realized he didn't have his phone. So, we turned around and headed back home to get it. About 40 minutes later we were headed back to the registration desk.

Next, it was off to triage where they monitored me for about 2 hours. When they checked me at the beginning I was dilated to a 4. The contractions were only about 8 minutes apart, but were definitely strong enough and painful. I hated just sitting in the bed with the monitors hooked up. It was really uncomfortable. All I wanted to do was walk around. After the 2 hours I had dilated another centimeter, so they were keeping me. That is good because I told Mitch I wasn't leaving. No matter what I was staying and having this baby.

Before going into labor I had decided that I didn't want to be induced or have an epidural. I didn't like being on pitocin or my epidural with Makenzie. Since I had told this to my doctor I was told I needed to walk around to get the contractions closer together. If they continued to be a little farther apart I may need to be put on pitocin. Luckily, that wasn't needed. As soon as I was walking around the contractions started coming every 2-3 minutes. And boy did they start to hurt. By the time we were taken to our room the contractions had gotten pretty bad. During each contraction I was tensing my entire body and I couldn't just breath through them. At that point I decided to get the epidural (I think it was around 3 pm).

Waiting for the epideral. Can you tell how HUGE our room was?



I had my IV put in, waited 20 minutes for the fluids to get into my body, and waited for the anesthesiologist to come. Unfortunately, they made Mitch leave the room (he wasn't too happy about that), so he headed to Subway to get something to eat. Getting the epidural wasn't bad. It was a little difficult holding still during contractions. After everything was done I was actually impressed with it. I could move my legs and feel the pressure of the contractions, but the pain was gone. I was able to relax and I still felt in control. Right before the epidural process I was dilated to 7 cm. We were moving right along.

After the epidural just hanging out.



The next several hours were spent watching tv, talking with Mitch and doing sudoku puzzles. The nurse would check me every 2 hours. Each time she did I had progressed some more. That is definitely good to hear. When the nurse was checking me when I was close to a 9 I felt the pop of my water break (around 7 pm).

Mitch hanging out.



Before being checked again, my nurse, Melissa, headed home and Kirsten, my next nurse, took her place. Melissa was a little crazy. She was super talkative and very opinionated. Kirsten was just so nice and sweet.

At this point we had different people coming in and setting up for the delivery. Dr. Nett arrived and had Mitch get all ready to "assist" with the delivery. I wish I had gotten a picture of him in the gown. She asked him a few questions and showed him a few of her tricks. They got me a mirror so I could see what was going on. I was in position and it was time to push. I'm not sure what time it was when I started pushing, but I only pushed through 4 contractions. And I could feel the contraction and knew when to push. Mitch said with the first push baby's head came right into position. A couple pushes later I was able to feel her head pop out and with the next push she was out. Dr. Nett did the suctioning because baby had her first bowel movement on the inside (they were concerned with her inhaling/ingesting the meconium). Mitch was front and center the entire time and delivered little Alex. He cut the cord and then headed off with Alex to do the daddy thing. Dr. Nett finished everything else up.

Baby is born (9:06 pm)!
Alexandria Mae Mendenhall
(name wasn't decided on until the last night in the hospital)



Mitch was worried that I would have rather had him hold my hand and stay near me, but I think it was awesome that he did the delivery. I am so glad that I had the epidural and was able to watch Mitch "play" doctor. I'm not sure he would have been able to do it if I hadn't (because I would have needed him). I think Mitch loved that he was able to be a big part of this birth. And Alex will get to tell everyone that her dad delivered her!

Dad, Mom & Alex!



With our amazing doctor, Dr. Nett.



Mommy & Alex - kangaroo care (skin to skin time)



Overall, this birth was completely different. If my first epidural had been like this one I might never have not wanted it. Even though the week leading up to the birth was frustrating, I'm glad that I went into labor naturally. From being admitted to the delivery it was about 9 hours. Not bad considering it was over 16 hours with Makenzie. We are so happy that Alex has arrived and is healthy and doing great! I can't believe we're now a family of 4!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful story! Adrian was able to catch Clark (probably not the same as "delivering" him) but I love being able to say that Adrian's hands were the first to hold him. Congratulations again! She's darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved hearing the story! I am glad it went better with this one. I am excited to meet Alex one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great through the whole thing! Congratulations Dr Mitch, that is very fun he got to deliver her. I Love her already, thanks for the pictures. I'll do what I can to meet her ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo i want to see her! she is so precious! that is james dream to be able to "catch" the baby when it comes out. I'm glad everything went well and you are all happy, healthy and home!

    ReplyDelete