Friday, April 27, 2012

mother of the year

Well, I won't be getting a mother of the year award anytime soon. Being woken up by a toddler saying, "I need new panties cause I peed my pants" should have been a sign as to how the day would go. I, however, was trying to be optimistic and offered Makenzie a reward if she could make it the rest of the day without peeing her pants. I told her we would go see really big balloons (which is the balloon glow) if she peed in the potty. I set our kitchen timer for 45 minutes and all day when the timer went off she would run to the bathroom. Definitely a helpful little trick I should have tried sooner. She even went without the timer when she needed to. I have been trying to get some things ready for a multi-family yard sale we are a part of tomorrow. I needed to go pick up a table a friend is letting us borrow and then drop off some of our stuff and some signs at the house the yard sale is taking place at. I had Makenzie use the potty before we left, but about 15 minutes into running errands she told me she needed to go to the bathroom. I was stopped at a red light and saw a McDonald's. I contemplated stopping there, but to get her out and the baby I knew it would be just as long as just making it to my friend's house. About 20 seconds later she was screaming so I knew there was no point in trying to stop. She had peed her pants. I am at a loss. I have no idea what to do next. She usually does really well when we are out and about. She has been potty trained for almost a year and is doing worse now than she did during the potty training process. Almost every day she's having accidents and some times it seems like she's doing it on purpose for attention. This did happen a little while back and a few days after she was having numerous accidents she presented with a UTI. I thought she was showing signs of one earlier this week (it would have been her 3rd), but then she also had diarrhea (sorry for the details) so we figured it was some GI bug. I sort of hope it's a UTI coming on and not a defiant toddler trying to get attention. I just don't know what to do about her peeing her pants. Any suggestions would be fantastic!

And since I'm sort of on a rant, whoever said the two's were terrible were mistaken. Three is by far worse. The sass and attitude that such a little person can have is unreal. I sometimes stand in shock at some of the things that come out of her mouth. And holy tantrums. I can't stand screaming, hitting and the word "Never." We're trying to talk more positively with her and recognize the good things she's doing. We're (mostly me) need to pick our battles rather than try to correct everything at once. I feel like nothing I say is even heard because we're constantly having the same conversations. I know she's three, but how many times do I need to tell her something before it sticks. Like I said not winning any mother of the year awards over here.

To finish off my rant, my sweet baby Alex decided to fill her diaper plus some. Yup, as soon as we were home and I changed Makenzie out of her soiled clothes in and brought in her car seat, Alex pooped all over herself and me. So, I changed back into my pajamas and am not going anywhere else today!

P.S. Mitch took his oral shelf for his surgery rotation today. He's been a nervous wreck all week about his grades. In about an hour he'll know his grades and can then enjoy a little time off from school. When I say a little time off I mean he doesn't have rotations, but the time will be filled with writing his personal statement, updating his CV, and other things.

1 comment:

  1. I think we all feel we aren't getting the "Mother of the Year" Award. But we are all doing great. If there was one right way to do everything they would have come with specific instructions, right? I think you are doing great. Look at all the great activities you have for Makenzie to do, and you are always taking out to the park and playdates. That's way more than most people do! I feel like I fall short of you as a mom. Makenzie is a very smart little girl cause of you. I'm sorry that this problem is so hard, but don't feel like you suck because of it! I'll ask around too to see if others have had this issue and see what helped them!
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete